Hi everyone! My name is Alison, and I am so excited to be featured this week on Alexis’s site. I’ve recently been interested in becoming a guest blogger, and I feel really fortunate that Alexis gave me this opportunity.
Spring has finally (almost) sprung, and summer is right around the corner, which means that it’s time to start planning your next vacation. In my totally biased opinion, Ohio is one of the best and easiest states to travel to and from in the summer. There are so many places to visit within driving distance—from big cities to sandy beaches.
Listed below are my top five vacation destinations near Ohio. All of the spots listed are somewhere I’ve been or want to go! No matter what your preferred vacation is, I’m sure you will find something on this list that suits your wanderlust.
5 Vacation Destinations Near Ohio:
- Depending on where you live, Chicago is anywhere from a 4-6 hour drive from Ohio. There is so much to do in this notorious Midwest city. If you are interested in exploring some of the more popular attractions, I would definitely suggest visiting the amazing aquatic life at the Shedd Aquarium or take a trip to Wrigleyville to catch a Cubs game!
- However, Chicago has much more to offer than just their normal touristy attractions, especially for young adults. Number one on my list next time I visit the windy city is checking out RM Champagne Salon, aka a bar dedicated to my drink of choice.
- There are also plenty of cute neighborhoods all over Chicago (click here for a comprehensive list). On my next trip, I definitely want to check out both the Lincoln Park and Logan Square areas.
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina //
- I first ventured to Hilton Head in high school with my cousins, and I was instantly hooked. The beaches are beautiful, there is no shortage of good restaurants, and no matter where you stay, it’s absolutely scenic all over the island.
- Although a relatively small island, Hilton Head has tons of great spots for young adults. My boyfriend, Josh, and I LOVE to try out breweries whenever we go on vacation. Hilton Head Brewery is the perfect place for a drink any time of the day (it’s a vacation, right!?).
- I’ve also heard great things about Sea Shack. If you love seafood, give this place a try (and let me know how it is)!
- I should mention that any place in the Carolinas is great for Ohioans looking for a relatively close vacation. Myrtle Beach, the Outer banks, and Charleston are all great destinations, too.
Chautauqua Lake, New York //
- My grandma and grandpa on my mom’s side retired in Chautauqua Lake, so I grew up vacationing here. It’s a quaint Western New York Town that has the best summer vibes around. The best part? Lodging is fairly priced and it’s only about 2-6 hours from Ohio (depending on where your starting point is)!
- As a near-native to Chautauqua Lake, I have a few of the areas best-kept secrets up my sleeve, but I’m willing to share with you guys.
- First up is The Casino. Don’t let the name fool you—this is not the kind of casino where you can win millions of dollars—it’s actually a restaurant right on the water! You can even access The Casino by boat if you’d like, and they have the best chicken wings I’ve ever had (seriously—you have to try them).
- If you do make the trip to Chautauqua, then you have to rent a boat, jetski or paddle board (click here for more information) and spend the day on the lake. It’s only 17 miles long and two miles wide, so it’s the perfect size. Grab your friends, a cooler and your speakers and spend the day enjoying the sun and the water.
South Haven, Michigan //
- I haven’t been to Lake Michigan yet, but once I eventually plan a trip there, South Haven is on the top of my list. With remarkable views, beautiful beaches and lots of delicious restaurants, it’s the perfect place for you and your friends to plan a long weekend.
- Other than lounging on the beach and drinking lots of margaritas, I recommend taking a tour of South Haven’s Historic Lighthouse or trying out one of their many local breweries.
Nashvillle, Tennessee //
- Last, but definitely not least, is Nashville, Tennessee! Nash-Vegas (as it has been coined by some) is not just for country-music lovers. From delicious food and fun neighborhoods to live music on Broadway, there’s something to do for every visitor! Nashville is the perfect mix of southern charm and big city.
- I suggest visiting The Gulch for some amazing shopping and great happy hours and checking out this website for local events happening in the city during your vacation. There are tons of fun festivals and events all year round so be sure to keep an eye out!
PIN FOR LATER!
This list is in no way inclusive of all possibilities, but they are all great options for a summer getaway fairly close to Ohio. I hope you all enjoyed this post! I loved being able to write it and work with Alexis.
More about Alison //
My internet home is A Little Ohio Blog. I’m a lifestyle blogger, with my main focus being on activities within my home state of Ohio. You can check out my Instagram here and my Facebook here. Thanks again to Alexis for featuring me this week.
Have a great week, everybody! Happy Spring!
Ali | A Little Ohio Blog